Centennial College’s smoking policy was developed by a committee made
up of students, faculty, support staff and administration. Factors
influencing the development of this policy included:
- concern for the health of students, faculty and staff
- medical evidence of the effects of smoke in the workplace
- legal requirements for an employer to provide a healthy and safe
- consistency with municipal by-laws of Scarborough and East York
The administration of this policy has been criticized due to large
groups of smokers congregating inside and around College building
entrances. This practice also tarnishes the professional image of the
- Smoking is not allowed inside any Centennial College building. This
applies not only to Centennial College students, faculty and staff,
but also to anyone visiting College premises.
- Smoking immediately outside of College buildings is restricted to
designated smoking areas. Smoking will not be permitted at any other
College building entrances.
- Anyone smoking inside a building or in any other non-smoking area
will be subject to a fine of $20.00 and/or other disciplinary measures
each time they are found in contravention of the Smoking Policy.
- A plant manager or security officer who discovers someone smoking,
either inside a College building or outside in an area not designated
for smoking, will issue that person a ticket for $20.00. The smoker
will be asked to provide identifying information such as name,
student/employee number, etc.
- Any person receiving a fine for smoking who refuses to show
identification will be treated as a “trespasser” and will be
asked to leave the property.
- Physical Resources will submit a formal complaint to the Campus
Inquiry Officer regarding anyone receiving more than one fine for
smoking. The Campus Inquiry Officer will forward the complaint to the
Campus Hearing Committee, which will conduct a hearing and determine
whether further sanctions are warranted.
- Students may petition a Campus Inquiry Officer, consistent with
student rights and responsibilities, if they feel a fine has been
Prepared by: Administration & Finance
Date issued: September 1996