Second Hand Smoke and Your Student Home
Even if YOU don’t smoke… your friends & roommates might
…nobody should be exposed to second hand smoke (SHS)
The chemicals in SHS are proven to cause cancer! Cancer-causing chemicals
- Mainstream smoke (exhaled by a smoker) AND
- Sidestream smoke (floating from a burning cigarette)
Unless your home is 100% Smoke Free, you will be exposed to SHS
- Smoking in 1 room, smoking by a window or smoking beside an open door won’t stop the spread of smoke
- Smoke travels through doors, windows, plumbing, heating systems & even electrical outlets!
- Talk to your landlord about making a 100% Smoke Free policy for the whole building
How does SHS affect me?
SHS hurts everyone who breathes (even pets!)
- Short term: can make you dizzy, nauseous AND give you headaches & more frequent colds (slowing both academic & fitness activities!)
- Long term: increases risk of heart & respiratory diseases AND lung & breast cancer
How to talk with roommates about smoking
- Negotiate house rules before you move in with your roommates
- Sit down together & make a list of house rules about cleaning, guests, quiet times, drugs, etc.
- Be sure to include a 100% Smoke Free rule
Your 100% Smoke Free Home Agreement
- No indoor smoking is ever allowed
- Outdoor smoking is 10m from doorways
- All guests must follow the rules
- A No Smoking sign is on your door
Download a PDF of our new Secondhand Smoke and Your Student Home resource
Smoke-Free Housing Ontario is about helping to increase options for smoke-free living.
Learn more about Smoke-free Housing Ontario, at www.smokefreehousingon.ca/sfho/